Sugarbush Harley's Classic O as a foal.
The American Sugarbush Harlequin Draft Association will develop rules regarding the recording, registration and identification of horses of American Sugarbush Harlequin Draft blood and breeding. The American Sugarbush Harlequin Draft Association will assist with the preservation of this rare bloodline and will work to increase the public awareness and promotion of the American Sugarbush Harlequin Draft horse. As the American Sugarbush Harlequin Draft horse is a breed created in America its preservation and promotion are also an effort to save part of American history.
ASHDA Animal Welfare Position Statement:
ASHDA is committed to the humane and proper treatment of all animals. In this respect:
• The welfare of the horse is the primary consideration in all activities.
• Horses will be treated with kindness, respect and compassion at all times.
• Responsible care will be used by all parties in handling, treatment and transportation of horses.
• Horse men and women as owners, exhibitors or trainers will ensure the health and well-being of animals in their care at all times.
• The standard by which conduct or treatment will be measured is that which a reasonable person, informed and experienced in generally accepted animal husbandry standard and equine care, training and exhibition procedure would determine to be neither cruel, abusive nor inhumane. Based on their principles, ASHDA has developed and enforces strict rules to ensure ethical competition and humane treatment of American Sugarbush Harlequin Draft Horse. ASHDA supports the development of procedures that assure equity, fairness, safety, health and welfare for all participants. Because the ASHDA is strongly opposed to animal abuse, any member convicted in a court of law of cruelty to animals will be suspended from ASHDA when certified evidence is presented to ASHDA disciplinary committee.